Control method: Autonomous
The robot must be autonomously programmed for this challenge which takes place inside a course measuring 1.8m by 2.2m with various markers. A picture of the course is shown on the right (click for a larger version).
The robot will:
- start inside a marked, A3-sized box.
- proceed forward and cross the red line.
- turn left by 90 degrees (either on the spot or in-motion).
- drive forward and touch or cross the first black line.
- drive backwards in a straight line and touch or cross the first black line.
- drive forwards to the middle of the turning area.
- turn left by 90 degrees.
- return to the starting box.
The course will be constructed from three tables, folded to the floor then pushed together. White duct tape will be used to cover the gaps between the tables giving what we hope will be a flat surface. The height of the tables is a maximum of 3cm – the robots won’t have far to fall should they veer off course.
The measurements of the course as shown in the diagram are correct and will be measured as such when the course is marked out. The distances of travel required within the turning area will, of course, vary according to the length of your robot – it is up to you to prevent it from going over the edge of the tables.
Robots will be ranked according to how quickly they return to the starting box after having completed all turns and movements correctly. The fastest will be ranked first. Points will be awarded to the top ranked robots like so:
- 1st: 40 points
- 2nd: 32 points
- 3rd : 25 points
- 4th : 18 points
- 5th : 15 points
- 6th : 12 points
- 7th : 10 points
- 8th : 8 points
- 9th : 6 points
- 10th : 4 points
- 11th : 2 points
- 12th : 1 point
- 10 points will be awarded to any robot that finishes the three-point-turn successfully and crosses the green line on its return.
- 20 points will be awarded for any robot that finishes the three point turn successfully and finishes with any wheel inside the starting box.
- Any rescue of the robot will incur a 20 second penalty.
- Only 2 rescues are allowed before the challenge is abandoned.
- If the robot’s wheels go off the edge of the tables, this will incur a 15 second penalty in addition to the ‘rescue’ penalty.