Aim of the challenge
In a test of your robot’s general abilities, and your driving, you must navigate around The Temple of Doom (the Obstacle Course) containing several fiendish traps, snags and puzzles.
- The course will not be revealed until the day of the competition.
- All obstacles must be attempted.
- You may skip obstacles after first attempting them, but you will not gain points for skipped obstacles.
- You are allowed to attempt the challenge up to three times within the time limit.
Ranking and Points
- The fastest single time taken to fully complete the obstacle course out of three possible runs will be ranked and awarded points according to the Formula Scoring System.
- 160 points will be awarded for each of the 7 obstacles successfully completed on your fastest run.
- 110 additional points will be awarded for each run in which you negotiate all obstacles successfully. (i.e. a ‘clean’ drive with no rescues and no skipped obstacles).
- For each skipped obstacle, your overall time will be increased by 30 seconds.
- Rescues of your robot are penalty-free if you’d like to re-attempt an obstacle to get the points. This, of course, comes at the expense of time.
- You must not walk on the course.
- You will be able to see the course as you come into the Pi Wars venue – this will be your first opportunity to study it, so take as much time as you can!
- Position yourself in a place where you can see the whole course before you start your attempt.
- You are allowed to (and may need to!) walk around the sides of the course during the run.
- Top-heavy robots may have difficulties on some of the obstacles; keep your centre of gravity low.
- Good ground clearance may be advantageous.
- Robots with good grip and the ability to drive up slopes have done well on this challenge in the past.
Ask Questions and Discuss
There are a number of ways you can discuss this challenge and the competition in general.