Your robot must tackle the world of DIY on this create-your-own obstacle course.
Aim of the Challenge
To build an obstacle course with as much inventiveness as you can muster using DIY tools and other household objects and show that your robot can navigate its way around and return ‘home’ at the end.
Remote control or Autonomous.
- You must construct your own obstacle course. It should feature the following:
- Items of DIY equipment. (e.g. You could run your robot over a hammer, but this is just a simple example!)
- Level changes (e.g. a ramp or lift)
- Different terrain examples. (e.g. stones, sand).
- Your obstacle course can use your entire location and is not limited in size to the normal 1500mm arena.
- You may use as many obstacles as you wish on your course.
- You are not limited to just DIY objects.
- You are permitted to go outside your location (for instance into a garden or car park) if you would like to.
- You must return (approximately) to your start point at the end of the run. (i.e. the course should return you to your ‘home’ position).
- You should video-record your entire run for judging.
Ranking and Points
- The merits of the courses and your run of that course will be judged by at least three independent Judges on the following criteria:
- Imagination, complexity and elements of humour shown on your obstacle course.
- The skill of the driver (remote control) or accuracy of the programming (autonomous).
- The perceived agility of the robot.
We recognise that these are entirely subjective criteria. We will have a panel of Judges so that the whole process is as fair as possible.
- You will be awarded an additional 200 points if your robot runs the course entirely autonomously. (Think of it as an extra challenge for Advanced roboteers!)
- You will be awarded an additional 200 points if you use audio commands to control some aspect of your robot during your run.
- To be decided.
Ask Questions and Discuss
You can discuss this challenge and the general rules with fellow competitors on our Discord chat. If you have questions for the organisers, please contact us through the website.